Prescription sleeping medication like Rozerem seems promising without the issues of dependence as well as rebound insomnia. But, people continuously search to OTC sleep aids as alternatives. These might not boast a similar effectiveness as prescription sleeping medicine and the hangover side effects of theirs are infamous. Listed click here to learn more (more tips here) are the five actual reasons observed precisely why OTC sleep aids are nevertheless very popular.
1. It is convenient. That’s obvious. The most common people are the antihistamines with FDA’s approval for use as OTC sleep aids so that you don’t need to have a doctors’ prescription. It is a recognized fact today that getting the transcient or occasional insomnia due to work or perhaps lifestyle circumstances is common. OTC sleep aids are recognized to be helpful in this kind of situations. The one problem is the fact that some individuals may start to count on them using habit and take them extended instead.
2. There are much less surprises. These antihistamines have existed for a very long time, considerably longer than the well known prescription sleeping medications like Ambien and Lunesta. Antihistamines are decades old while non benzodiazepines as Ambien emerged in the 1990s. Thus, the likelihood of unfamiliar dangerous side effects is much lower for antihistamine OTC sleep aids.
There are much less surprises.
As it is, physicians are usually leery of new sleeping medicines that haven’t stood the test of time. This is among the two major objections from prescribers that any drug company faces when marketing a fresh medication. Painful lessons have been learnt together with the withdrawal of drugs like Vioxx, the painkiller and Avandia for diabetic issues.
It must be seen however that supplement OTC sleep aids differ from antihistamines. Supplements do not need FDA approval as non-prescription sleep aids and therefore, long-term safe keeping haven’t been documented all along.
3. The lesser evil. The side effects of OTC sleep aids are deemed the lesser evil. The majority of people put up with the infamous hangover unwanted effect or even have simply adjusted the way they take the OTC sleep aids e.g. smaller doses or perhaps sleep longer and earlier. Granted these hangovers and other related side effects may be serious for many people. Nonetheless, following day drowsiness seems much less bizarre than instinctively sleepwalking on prescription sleeping medicines. FDA has recently recommended which more potent alerts have been put into sleeping medications’ labels about these negative effects that could be life threatening.
The lesser evil.
4. Cheaper than a can of coke. An OTC sleep tool costs just 30-40 cents compared to Lunesta during $3-$four a tab. Consumers are glad to resolve their sleeplessness at lower cost and lower risks. Expense is always a major deciding factor if the extra benefits of prescription sleeping medication don’t measure up to the price difference.
Less expensive than a can of coke.
5. Instant lifestyle. Change is constant and quickly for this sleepless 24/7 generation. We want both instant gratification and instant methods for our stress filled lives. OTC sleep aids are conveniently pocketed along with our Ipods and Blackberrys.