Employee state Insurance Corporation
By Grishma Shetty at Lexcliq
ESIC stands for employee state Insurance Corporation was a body created by the ministry of labor and employment under the ESIC Act, 1948. Under this scheme for workmen having salary less than Rs.21000/- and it covers employees financially during sickness, maternity, death and disablement and as they are not seasonal workers their exposure to risk during their employment is higher, the following are some of the benefits which a person get under this scheme.
The main objectives of this act is to provide dependent members of the family with aid in case of death or injury:
- Disability benefits = where an employee is disabled, and the injury is temporary in nature then his or her monthly wages are given to them and where he or she gets monthly salary in case of temporary disability and for the remainder of life.
- Medical benefits = this scheme has not limit in case of medical benefit and hence all the expense of medical area are covered under this scheme.
- Maternity benefit = an female employee who has gone under the period of labor gets 100% daily wages for 26 weeks and in case of miscarriage 6 weeks .
- Unemployment allowances = ESI provides a monthly cash allowance for a maximum period of 24 months in case of permanent invalidity due to a non-employment injury or due to involuntary loss of employment.
- Sickness benefit = around 70% of the daily wages of an employee is given during a medical leave for a maximum period of 91 days.
- Other benefits = confinement expenses, rehabilitation, and funeral expenses are also included in this scheme.
- Payment is received by the following:
The periodic compensation will be received as follow-
- The spouse of the legitimate child adopted son below 25 years of age and unmarried legitimate or adopted daughter.
- Widow mother
- If wholly dependent on the income of the deceased insure person then the legitimate or adopted son or daughter who has attained 25 year of age will be considered to be infirm.
- Where spouse, widow mother, children are not left behind, in that case
- Parent other than widowed mother
- A minor illegitimate son, unmarried illegitimate daughter or daughter legitimate or adopted or illegitimate if married or if widowed and a minor.
- Minor bother or an unmarried sister or widowed sister if a minor
- Widowed daughter-in-law
- Minor child of pre-deceased daughter and no parent of the child is alive.
- Paternal grandparents is no parent of the insured person is alive.
How compensation will be made:
The full 90% of the average daily wages of the deceased insured person will be paid as follow-
- Spouse = an amount equivalent to 3/5 of the full rate. Where there are 2 or more widows the aforesaid amount will be equally divided.
- Legitimate or adopted son = an amount equivalent to 2/5 of full rate until he is 25 years of age.
- Legitimate or adopted daughter = amount equivalent to 2/5 of full rate until the infirmity lasts.
- Legitimate or adopted unmarried daughter = an amount equivalent to 2/5 of full rate until he is 25 years for age.
The minimum relief under this ESIC scheme shall 1800/- month and this scheme is applicable for 2 year.