OFFENCES AGAINST WOMEN IN INDIA
There are a variety of psychological, economical, sociological forms of victimization of women. In our society we have been seen that women are economically discriminated at working places. At the same time women are also exploited physically, emotionally and sexually by their husbands. It is shocking to hear that women had no right to decide whether they could continue their pregnancy or terminated it. The following are categories of crimes against women in India:
Sexual offences, Offences for gain, Molestation and rape, Harassment at home leading to suicide and murder of young brides, immoral trafficking, exploitation of women. Physical torture, Mental Cruelties.
CAUSES OF CRIME AGAINST WOMEN IN INDIA
Crimes against women is not considered from only physical point of view but also sociological aspect also. There are records of women raped. beaten, abduct, and given humiliating treatment. Women have been subjected to socioeconomic and culture deprivations for such a long time that there is a general indifference and lack of awareness of crimes against them. Over 32000 murders, 19,000 rapes, 7500 dowry deaths and 36500 molestation cases are the violent crimes reported in India in 2006 against women .At least one out of three women has been beaten, forced into sex, or abused during her lifetime, according to a study based on 50 surveys from around the world. On most occasions, the abuser was a member of the woman’s family or someone known to her.
- One woman in four has been abused during pregnancy.
- More than 60 million women worldwide are considered ‘missing’ as a result of sex-selective abortions and female infanticide, according to an estimate by Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen.
- The World Health Organisation has reported that up to 70% of female murder victims are killed by their male partners.;
- 1 crime committed against women every three minutes;
- 1 molestation case every 15 minutes;
- 1 sexual harassment case every 53 minutes;
- 1 kidnapping and abduction case every 23 minutes;
- 1 rape case every 29 minutes;
- Four out of 10 women in India have experienced violence in the home;
- 45% of women have suffered at least one incident of physical or psychological violence in their life;
- 26% have experienced at least one moderate form of physical violence;
- More than 50% of pregnant women have experienced severe violent physical injuries.
According to the NCRB, approximately 6,000 women are killed in India every year because of dowry. Unofficial estimates are as high as 15,000 deaths a year. In other words, between 16 and 40 women die every day because of dowry.
These are following the causes of crime against women:
- Social causes:
- Broken Homes
- Psychological environment
- Orthodox thought:
- Personal causes
- Lack of proper moral education
In this we have seen various offences that occurs against the women and their provisions are been given in the Indian Penal Code .In the present study I have tried to put forth before the criminal justice system of India that Indian women are now no safe and always a kind of threat feelings generated among the women that in the present scenario they can be easily victimized from any nook and corner of the society. As per reports and statistics, its crystal clear that the sharp increase in crime rates from (7.6%) in 2003 to (8.8%) 2007 in last five years at the national level and when we only compared mega cities with the total national crime rate, it is sharply increased from (24,709) in 2007 to (21,861) in 2006, a total increase of (13.0%) in just one year. These figures show a hazardous situation in the country like India with respect safety and security of women. Not only that even foreigners are also not been spared who are coming to India as many cases have been booked under rape and murders against the foreigners. In this era of globalization there is an urgent need to motion our Criminal Justice System of India in maintaining law and order situation of the country that one should feel safe and secure.